Wednesday, January 11, 2012

A Week of Firsts

     A week has gone by, and with its passing I have grown in my knowledge of how things work in Peru. Although, as you might be able to tell after this post, a lot of the things I have learned... have to do with food. (Maybe a little bit of culture as well.)

     First things first. On Tuesday of last week, we took an evening trip into Trujillo. We went to the center square named the Plaza de Armas. It was decorated for Christmas and there were peddlers milling about selling their wares.
The focal-point of the Plaza de Armas. 

 A cathedral
 A house I would love to own. :-) Isn't it beautiful?
 Some of the other volunteers. (Left to Right - Stephanie, Bryson, Courtney, Emily, and Tiffany)
Stephanie, Emily and Tiffany. Emily and Tiffany were short-termers from New Zealand. They left the orphanage on Sunday. 

     On Sunday I tried out the church, Centro Biblico, that most of the volunteers go to, along with one of the four houses of kids. (the little boys) It was fun to see them enjoy church. They even were given some pop before the service.

    
     On the food front, I had two very exciting things happen. First, I got a delicious hamburger from a little town (not at all a town like you will probably picture) called Salaverry. It consisted of a huge bun, two (thin but large) beef patties (I could have had a fried egg as well), and fries on top. All for the cheap price of 2 soles (2.7 soles = 1 dollar). It was great. Also, after church we went out, and I was able to try the milkshake that is notorious among the volunteers. It was oreo. It was scrumptious. 


     Although, food is definitely not all I should talk about. These children are such a blessing. They work hard, not only that, but they do it with a joyful attitude. On Monday I had to wash all the inside walls of the Chispa's (younger girls) house with a brillo pad. One of the girls helped me, and was quite happy to do so.
 Here are the twins washing their clothes/sheets. What 8(ish) year old do you know that does this?

     It is however summertime, and with that must come a little fun? What are two things that everybody wants in the summer? 

You guessed it! A pool and....




the Ocean 
Both of which I can see from my window. (Where these pictures were taken.)

     The girls and I had a nail painting party. Incase you didn't know... they are just typical girls. Here are some of the pictures they took with my camera. 

 Yameli and Rocio

 Just hanging out
Even the girls in Peru have Bieber Fever. (Ugh)

     A little story for you all. I was riding the Micro (a small bus) into town, and there were no seats... therefore I had to stand. Unforunately, Micros are not made for the tallest of people. While standing my shoulders were hitting the top of the bus and I had to have my head bent completely over. I looked behind me to see a man and his son cracking up laughing at me. So the moral of the story is... if you are tall and white, don't come to Peru and expect not to be laughed at. 

     Anyway, something I have been thinking about, is how blessed we all are. I am so grateful for my parents. After hearing these kid's stories, I hope I never forget how much I have. 

3 comments:

  1. I can definitely see your tan lines in that picture! Looks like you and the girls had fun. I know my eight year old twins wouldn't enjoy washing their own laundry, shows you the differences in our cultures. And watch out, the Beiber fever is spreading quickly, it could come upon you at anytime!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We did have a good time. You wouldn't believe how much nail polish they put on. Layer upon layer! I hope the fever doesn't over take me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent. You may wish to relate some of these kids circumstances when you are able. Many would be enlightened.

    ReplyDelete