Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Moments to Cherish

     At this point, it seems as though the weeks are going by in fast forward. With less than two weeks left here at the albergue, my heart is already heavy with the looming farewells. The past few weeks have been intense. Although it seems as if we are enduring formidable trials, God's answer of prayer and steadfast love have never been more evident. The night before I left home to come here my dad read me Psalm 46 which says:
       
          "God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear though the earth gives way, though the mountains be moved into the heart of the sea, though its waters roar and foam, though the mountains tremble at its swelling."

     He told me that I would need to remember this chapter in the months to come. He never could have known how right he was, how true this chapter would be in so many different facets of my trip, how much I would need to be constantly reminded of it. When things seem to have gotten as low as they could get, I can remember God is our refuge, He will protect these children. So in that I can rejoice, and even see how He has worked these difficult situations out for good.

     On a different, yet similarly reflective note. When you come to an orphanage, you expect, well at least hope, to be of great service. Even if you wouldn't say it out loud, you plan to come and "change lives." And while this is all good, things don't exactly work that way. At first you are wrapped up in the newness of everything, and suddenly, one day, you are in a routine... no longer thinking of the reasons that you came, but just getting through every day. You need to be re-hardwired, to remember why you came, why you desired to serve in the first place. When those desires are reinforced, you come to another realization. Those children are teaching you just as much as you are teaching them. To watch sisters with such fierce and protective love for one another, I want that. To see the forgiveness of a child, when great evil has been done against them. When everything seems to be going wrong and yet to still hear the laughter of children. To have the children love you, even when you have been grumpy and mean. To hear a child who cannot speak, say your name. To see the joy in the sweet little girl's eyes, when she comes running to show you something she has accomplished. To see fatherless children trust God as the Father who will never abandon them, even when everyone else has.

     So during these next weeks, I will savor the moments I have left. I will remember the smiles, cherish the laughter, praise the victories and help through the trials, and pray that God uses me. I will pray that I finish out my time here strong, pouring out all the love that I possess, remembering I can only love because the heavenly Father first loved me.

2 comments:

  1. What wisdom. Praise the LORD! Cherish your time and know that you will be warmly welcomed home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sorry for the heartache that you feel at the thought of leaving the kids. Praise God that He gave you the opportunity to know and love them. Love you and I can't wait to see your face!

    ReplyDelete